How to make Elsa’s hair (from Frozen)
My daughter is hyper excited about an upcoming Frozen Party. We have shopped, ordered online, compared jewellery and princess slippers, and then atlast we came to the hair. Such an important part! The tiara will not work with just any old plait – we need a FROZEN plait!
Off we went to the local art and craft supplies shop (Lincraft in our case), and there we agonised over colours and textures. We settled on 2 balls of super cool textured wool – called “big wool”. It varies in width to add gorgeous texture and had great hair colours, including one ball of mixed yarn in true beige, blonde and ice blues – perfect for the ice queen! We bought:
1 aqua blue glitter
1 silver white glitter glue (or nail polish)
1m bright aqua ribbon
To make the plait:
1. Make loops of the wool about 1.2 times as long as the plait will be. Keep looping until you use up the ball of wool.
2. Loop a 15cm piece of wool through loops at one end, tie in a bow (so you can add in the other ball afterwards).
3. Repeat with other ball and open the bow.
4. Add the loops to the others and mix in together if you have 2 colours.
5. Re-tie the bow loosely so you can push some hair through.
6. Cut the loops at the other end.
7. Attach the tied end to a handle or have the Elsa princess hold it.
8. Sort the strands so the colour coverage is even and loosely plait until 10cm form end.
9. Use a piece of wool to tie a know around the plait and hold firm.
10. Add the glitter nailpolish then spinkle aqua glitter very lightly over top.
11. Add the aqua ribbon to the the plait to finish.
- Tie 30cm piece of ribbon over wool tie
- Pinch rest of ribbon around 8cm in. Twist and hold with fore finger and thumb.
- Loop around a bow around 8cm long and twist back to middle – hold as above.
- Repeat for bottom loop, then one more each up and down from midpoint.
- Hold the bows securely!
- Move to plait and hold at midpoint whilst someone ties the flat ribbon tightly over top in a knot.
- Trim ribbon ends into diagonal cuts.
To add to hair separate into 3 parts and wrap one through and around plait. Plait into other 2 pieces of hair and secure with a band.